August 23, 2009

Crispy Gnocchi Salad

Have you heard about the pan-fried gnocchi sensation? I discovered it last summer and have had a slight obsession with it ever since. I have served this culinary marvel using a variety of methods; however, today's recipe has to be my absolute favorite way of presenting pan-fried gnocchi!

The crispy goodness works wonderfully in this salad with the creamy goat's cheese. In addition, the tangy goat's cheese compliments the intense fruitiness of the sunblush tomatoes. Furthermore the sausage adds that "extra something" that any good carnivore would appreciate. And finally the red onion creates just the right amount of sharpness that produces the perfect overall balance. It is, you could say, a combination made in heaven.

There is an added bonus: You can prepare most of the ingredients in advance. Up to 24 hours in advance if you wish!
I would; however, advise that you cook the gnocchi 10-20 minutes before serving. If you refrigerate it, the gnocchi will become chewy and lose its crispiness.

So here it is...My Crispy Gnocchi Salad..



Serves 4-6

1 pound fresh gnocchi
4 good quality sausages, sliced, (I like Aidells - Organic Sweet Basil and Roasted Garlic)
1/2 cup sunblush tomatoes
6 oz leafy salad greens
6 oz soft goat's cheese, crumbled or rolled into balls, time consuming, but pretty :)
Small red onion, thinly sliced

Dressing:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbls olive oil
1 tsp truffle oil ( optional, but highly recommended )
1 tbls dijon mustard
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt

Whisk the dressing ingredients together thoroughly until thick and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: The quantity of each ingredient in this dressing is perfect for me; however, if you feel that it is too tangy for your taste, just add a little more salt or olive oil until you achieve your desired taste.

In a large skillet, over a medium high heat, saute sausage until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool. Wipe pan clean and heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add gnocchi and cook until golden and crisp all over. Between 3-5 minutes per side. Season with salt and set aside to cool. Once the sausage and gnocchi is at room temperature start preparing the salad.

On a large platter, place a layer of the salad greens. Top with the gnocchi, sausage, tomatoes, red onion and goat's cheese. Serve with the dressing on the side.

7 comments:

  1. yum yum um girl - I'm making that this bank holiday defo innit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never eaten a gnocchi salad but yours sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hooked on Aidells sausages! This entire dish sounds and looks amazing. Your photos are gorgeous as well. Thanks for visiting my blog...definitely happy it brought me to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had pan-fried gnocchi a few months ago and it was absolutely divine. Like I wouldn't mind having that instead of popcorn at the movies. Just think, a giant tub of pan-fried gnocchi and a box of Raisinets. Dear me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a twist to boiled ones... I will HAVE to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete